Diet plan for gout, what to eat and what to avoid.
Gout is a form of arthritis characterized by sudden and/or severe attacks of pain, tenderness, swelling and redness in joints, occurring mostly at the joint at the base of the toe. It is caused by uric acid buildup in the body. With a well balanced gout relief diet, the effectiveness of treating gout is greatly increased.
DIET FOR GOUT
It is very important to severely limit the amount of animal protein in the diet. Red meat has been proven to be the most damaging food possible for gout patients.
The patient should avoid all foods containing purine (derivative of uric acid), and foods that produce uric acid, like eggs, meats and fish; also coffee, tea, sugar, white flour and its associated products; and all processed, fried and canned foods.
To benefit from the gout relief diet, avoid the foods having high levels of protein that cause increase in the uric acid levels in blood, which triggers severe gout attacks. Such conditions can be avoided by limiting the intake to very small quantity of lean meats, such as poultry or fish, like salmon. Many fishes, like mackerel, anchovies and herring, may be high in purines, so it is important to identify them, and omit it from the diet.
Foods to completely avoid include oatmeal, mushrooms and yeast products. Some vegetables to be excluded from the gout relief diet include asparagus, spinach and cauliflower, and legumes like lentils, beans, and peas.
The person should drink plenty of water and avoid carbonated and caffeinated drinks. Avoid alcohol as impairs the body's capability to eliminate excess uric acid.
GOUT RELIEF DIET
• Cherry : Cherries contain an antioxidant called "anthocyanins", which helps to relieve gout inflammation and the frequency of flare-ups. Avoid the canned ones, and consume only fresh cherries. Eat about 15 to 20 cherries each day at morning, and gradually, the quantity can be reduced if required.
• Lime: Vitamin C present in lime is believed to be an important element in the gout relief diet, to prevent and cure sore joints by increasing the strength of the connective tissues of the body. Also, the citric acid in lime counterbalances the uric acid, which causes gout. Squeeze the juice of half a lime into a glassful of water, and it should be taken twice daily.
• Apple: Apple contains malic acid which neutralizes the uric acid in the body. Eat an apple after each meal.
• Fast of orange juice and water: If faced with a sudden attack, the best remedy is a fast of orange juice and water. In cases of severity, it is ideal of taking short fasts for about 3 days. After the symptoms subside, the person may switch to an all fruit diet to continue for another 3 or 4 days.
• Vegetable Juices: Fresh juices extracted from beetroot, carrot and cucumber juice proves to be very beneficial for gout patients in the chart of gout relief diet. Mix 100 ml each of beetroot and cucumber juice, with 300 ml of carrot juice and consume it on a daily basis.
• French Beans: French beans and its juice has proven good beneficial in treating gout. About 150 ml of this juice can be daily consumed.
• Banana: Eat plenty of bananas for 3-4 days, and try to avoid other foods during this time.